Monday, December 3, 2012

A Christmas Revelation



For all my complaints about winter, there is no season of the year that makes me happier than the holiday season. The lights, the songs, the giving, [the receiving]...it's such a magical time, and it always feels full of such potential. I love turning the car on and catching the beginning of a Christmas song. I haven't heard any of my favorites yet this year but I did hear "A Holly, Jolly Christmas" for the first time this season. This particular edition of the song has been around since the 60's - so I've been hearing it my entire life. And today, the third day of December in the year of our Lord two thousand and twelve, just realized that the lyrics go "somebody waits for you, kiss her once for me". I remember as a child wondering exactly what a "griswald" is, and why one is waiting for the singer of this song. I filed it under "adult jokes that I don't understand" back in the early 90's and never looked back. It was on my way home from yoga this evening, listening to the song in the car, that it clicked - Griswald's aren't a thing! Or even a joke from before my time! "...Griswald's wait for me" is not even the lyric to the song!

Has anyone else ever misheard a lyric - for years? I can't be the only one...

No comments:

Post a Comment