Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Baby Cupcakes

I've been looking for any excuse to craft lately and with the house hunt back on and a wedding in the not too distant future I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunities soon. In the meantime, with no house to decorate, wedding to craft for, or even (shock horror!) a friends bridal shower to plan, I'm in a bit of a crafting rut. Luckily, my cousin's baby shower was this weekend. Unluckily, I have no experience with baby showers, never mind baby crafts. I found this picture on Pinterest and decided how hard could it be? As far as crafts go, it's definitely on the easier end of the spectrum. And, like me, you'll probably make your "cupcake", decide it looks nothing like a cupcake and try, try again. The best advice I can give you is make all four at once, place them in the cupcake box and then decide if any need to be re-rolled. There's magic in the cupcake box and things that don't normally look like cupcakes suddenly look adorable inside that box.  



Here's what you'll need:
4 onesies
4 baby socks (2 pairs)
Cupcake box (I found mine at Michael's)
Cupcake liners
Scotch tape











Each cupcake is made from one onesie and one [single] sock.

 


Fold the onesie in third's and the sock in half.

















 


Using the toe of the sock as the piece sticking out, roll the sock into the onesie. Experiment with how tightly you do this. [Too tight makes the cupcake appear taller than is realistic but too loose and the cupcake looks like a blob.] Purposefully roll "down" so each roll is not even with the last, giving it a more stacked look. You can see this in the picture directly above. The picture to the left is the underside of this cupcake - don't  worry about how this looks. It's going to squish into the bottom of the box anyway.












Use scotch tape to hold the rolled onesie in place, put in a cupcake liner and voila! Onesie Cupcakes! Like I said before, wait until all the cupcakes are done and in the box before deciding to re-roll. You'll be shocked how much better they look once they're in the box surrounded by other cupcakes. That said, I wound up re-rolling the red cupcake four times before I was happy with how it looked [meanwhile, my nine year old sister rolled the yellow one on the first try and it was the best looking one in the box.]

One of the things I loved best about this gift idea is that, for family and close friends, it's the perfect "little something extra" that I find myself so often needing. This craft cost me under $20 and took no more than 30 minutes to complete. Additionally, for those people whose shower you aren't attending but probably should buy something for (neighbors, children's friend's parents, coworkers you only see and work with occasionally...) it's a really easy and inexpensive way to acknowledge this time in their life.

Comment below if you try it out and let me know how it went!

No comments:

Post a Comment