Friday, August 17, 2012

Weekend Book Review: Night Road


I skipped a couple weeks of book reviews and that's not for lack of reading on my part. So many of the books I've been reading lately have been so-so at best and I'm hesitant to review something I wouldn't actually recommend. Luckily, I finished Night Road over this past weekend and though I have since started and finished another book [The Secrets of Mary Browser, also fantastic, expect a review soon] I can't seem to get these characters out of my mind.

Somewhere in the course of the book I lost touch with reality and, now that it's ended, I find myself wondering how each of the characters is doing today. This is the second time this has happened to me while reading one of Kristin Hannah's books and I view it as a true sign of excellent writing. It is a story line that is, unfortunately, near and dear to all too many. No one wants to imagine themselves in the shoes of any one of the characters, yet the reader finds themselves judging each one in spite of themselves and thinking about the all-too-harrowing thought of well, what would I do?

This is the third book I've read by Hannah and while I would recommend each one [Firefly Lane and Home Front] Night Road has stayed with me the longest after I've finished. If you can only read one, let this be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment